Saturday, March 13, 2021

Unst cycling begins

Waking early due to not changing my alarm from my six Am work setting, I thought I would have a look at sunrise but a quick look outside it was overcast and ready to pour down I had my cereal at the porch of the youth hostel as I could get a Wi-Fi signal there and keep dry, there was no phone signal not even 2G! getting the WIFI code from the boys doing work on the hostel the previous day became a social media necessity that morning, then when the workies turned up, I also got access to the loo and kettle woo hoo glamping again,
These small luxuries made my mind up I would leave the tent pitched here for another night, a check at the map got me planning a circular route to two trig points from my base, firstly up to the main road and head north I planned to take the gravel track on the left at a place called gunnistar, this turned out to be a mistake the track stopped at a farm, a check of the map I should have taken the second land rover track from the main road,
no problem though I threw the bike over two fences and pushed it over some fields and I was on the gravel track to the top, this gravel land rover track would be great fun on a mountain bike, the daunder was fine with it but I don’t like to throw it about at speed, it went undulating all the way to a ridge top where the views were stunning out from the west coast to the east, the track went right up to the trig point of Valla field, there was some sort of circular base at the top also, which looks too knew to be war stuff I can only guess at some sort of abandoned observatory? Great cycle back down the hill and this time right to the main road
At the main road there was a statue and write up about the ghost the white wife! This was the white wife the Valhalla brewery named one of their beers after not the white wife on yell! The wind was in my face now for the cycle out back towards uyeasound, where I took the first turning this time heading out past their galley shed and up the hill to the standing stone of clivocast then a sunny cycle out to muness castle
This castle is said to have been built by Shetland islanders sweat and tears due to over taxation and forced labor by a tyrant Bruce lord, he was a mix of Bruce and Stewart blood, the locals went as far as pleading to the courts about his taxation scams, the courts deemed in favor of the people but he carried on regardless no surprise eventually when he was dead and gone the castle was burned down, but I enjoyed my walk around its ruin thinking yet again of the injustice of the feudal system, before setting off for trig number two just along the road at ramnageo, there was a decent road to cycle almost to the trig point but as I approached it the skies opened up! a cold heavy downpour all the way from the trig back to my camp site,
Fortunately, the workers were still at the hostel and I could hang my wet gear to dry out and make a hot coffee in the kitchen while using the WIFI for emails and social networking, I also used my internet access time to pay for ten years for my web page domain name, it’s a forty pound a year subscription but they were offering me ten percent off per year for up to ten years, its a hassle saving task along with a financial saving, I now don’t need to bother about that for ten years

No comments:

Post a Comment