Sunday, March 28, 2021

trying to plan next moves from lerwick

I had left the daunder down the back of the hotel, unpacking everything I needed it would have been good to go out for a nice bar supper or have dinner in the hotel restaurant, but these options were out for now, I could have gone for a sit-down cafĂ© dinner up until six PM, but they’re not allowed to serve you alcohol which boils ma heid! I opted for the dreamed of fish supper this time from the forge chippy (I mostly use da harbor) I like brown chippy sauce but the forge only has sachets of brown sauce and no breaded fish this night? It was tasty though I enjoyed it,
An appointment at the physio at midday the next day meant a walk to the far side of town, I chose to wear my vivobarefoot sockless zero drop shoes, partially due to not having any clean socks so was a bit embarrassed about that, but also because I was starting to think I would be as well starting off from scratch again with this left leg issue, I was starting to come to the conclusion that it is all facia related? If so, I would need to learn to walk correctly; correct my posture then I can move slowly forward to running in the barefoot style change my breathing and posture more slowly this time! My left calf didn’t like this walk at all it was all swollen up with the previous days cycling, it felt like a big cyst not a muscle, I could visibly see it like a big hard ball, it was painful to touch but enjoyable bruising style pain they call speggie muscle up here, when I mentioned this to Alyson (the physio) that my left calf muscle was sore from the cycling, so it will affect my movements slightly during the physio, she looked at me and said from the cycling kenny? Why just the left calf? Of course, she is correct! Yes, I had exerted myself the previous day and should have sore muscles, but sore on both legs even more so with a bike where my feet had been clipped in and the frame keeps my body in balance, why should one calf be in agony the other totally fine? The answer is my left sides muscles are not sharing the work load fairly across the lot, my mind is protecting something and not using it from my left lower back down to the left big toe? the muscular movements are out of sync. After the physio appointment I stopped at the co`op on the way back to get beer, it is a lot of hassle a big faff unpacking everything, then repacking it takes up far too much of my time on the road, I must get better at it, this day was even worse as it was next not going to be a cycling trip, I had to pack stuff to carry for what I would be needing for two nights three days of camping, along with food and cooking stuff as there is no shop on the isle of Foula, I had to ask the hotel owner Harvey if it were ok to leave stuff at the hotel including the daunder, he was fine with that and said we could potentially just lock it all up in the ladies toilet of the nightclub as that won’t be getting used anytime soon! It took me all night and the morning, sorting my stuff into bags, choosing exactly what was for staying and what was for going, two bags for going four for staying, you may well wonder how can he have six bags? I actually have seven! I had taken the tent out of the cycle front bar bag, put all the sleeping equipment into one large back pannier, the other stuff that I required went into the Patagonia black hole bag hold all, this hold all has straps so you can wear as a pack, I would be leaving my wee day pack, that was a long decision to make as I usually always wear it when cycling or hiking, All organized in the morning bags at the ready jacket on, pocket check phone wallet room key? my phone rang? I initially thought it was a junk call (I get loads), but It was a Shetland number so I answered it thankfully! It was the ferry company the ferry that I had booked from walls to Foula that day would have to be cancelled due to the weather! it would be next week before it went again. I thanked her for the info, let out a big sigh and sat down on the bed deflated, setting of on a mini adventure like this gets you on an emotional high I was hyped up ready to go when I got that call, as I sat down, I thought what will I do now?
Fate leads the willing and drags along the reluctant Seneca
There is no point in stressing or bothering about the things you cannot change, that’s all just negative energy, fate had dealt me some great cards up until this one, I had been reasonably lucky with the weather especially as far as logistics of getting to areas were concerned, this ferry is notorious for being canceled due to wind and fog, had I just bounced straight on it first time it would probably not be the norm from what I’ve read, most travelers have a few failed attempts to get to Foula or fair isle before they actually get there, I spoke to Harvey at the hotel and said I would be staying until Saturday now he was fine with that, due to the whole social distancing stuff the room doesn’t get serviced there is no breakfast options and masks and distancing are maintained outside of your room, I am in isolation here which is fine I went for a stroll around the shops buying a Shetland book called a town called toilet from the local bookstore, which I am now reading and enjoying, then I had a pleasant walk all along the knab to the Tesco and back it’s a stunning coastline walk, which now having been all around the area I can look out to sea and along the coast knowing what and where all the landmarks are, While in Tesco I bumped into mcschneibs then Duncan T stopped his car and got out for a brief conversation (he was heading out nightshift and had been visiting his unwell dad, time was at a premium), then I saw craig then a bloke from the stores I had forgot his name, lerwick seems to be the right size of town for getting to become part of the community yet still have your own individuality, Dropping of my shopping I opted for the noodle bar for dinner that night, while on my way to Everest noodle take away bosch I went down! left ankle far too easily turning on a tiny old style kerbing piece! It was a proper ankle turner and not just a get straight back up job that It would have been on my now normal fall in the heather, this time as I sat up I had a little whinge psyching myself to stand up on the recently bent ankle, a passerby who had seen me go down like a sniper had hit me, asked if I was ok he probably thought I was a drunk! I laughed and said I was fine yon bloody wee kerbs caught me oot, which was true and further explanation into left side weakness would be a waste of both our times, my left legs swelling now got worse, the noodles were ace though and I also had some spicy soup.
Next day felt psychologically strange in the morning I kept thinking I should be somewhere or planning something, which was to a certain extent true the ferry cancelation didn’t mean the adventure was over I had other stuff to get organized, my dad was always on the go and would moan if we stopped for anything saying come on you, we are burning daylight. That’s what it felt like I was wasting day hours when I shoulda been doing something, I need to learn to live in the moment and have chill days this became my mantra that day fate has gave you a day off enjoy it? In some ways I did in others I used it as a spring board for other things!
I love audiobooks I don’t listen to them when I am busy and need to concentrate on my purpose. for example I can’t listen while writing reading or emailing but can when stretching walking aimlessly cooking etc., I had finished my previous audiobook around the world in eighty trains, which was ok I enjoyed it even though the author was scathing of me well not me personally she doesnt know me but my types. I now had downloaded the wim hoff method to listen to specifically I was hoping to learn about his breathing technique not so much his cold-water therapy which I hoped one day I can embrace! Breathing first was my thought on this day to help with my posture correction for my injury, I like to embrace new thinking new things progression so cold water came before breathing in the audiobook, before I knew it I had my Vibram sockless shoes on along with my shorts I would immerse super slow, down to the beach wit loads of upper layers and a tammy on, I walked into the freezing cold water to just above my knees, three times that first time for around thirty seconds, I felt it was a success and had done some good, it wasn’t too hard I decided I would develop it, it certainly wont do any harm defo worth a go, was the thinking at present four days on from the first night I am at the time of typing doing two full minutes thigh deep each day The fish supper is a staple of the UK diet from Blackpool to Aberdeen and everywhere in between, how you have your supper is greatly different in each region, in my area for example the east coast and west coast are two different suppers red sauce or brown? vinegar or not with cheese or curry sauce? With most towns having a specialty of there are from battered pizza to deep fried mars bars, lerwick has battered crab sticks? Only 40p each so I had to give it a go very popular the man at the counter said which was true as they always had some ready and I heard a few folks asking for them which is how I discovered they done such a thing, I had tried a scallop supper at frankies it was ok, the crab sticks were alright a wee bit rubbery but aright, I ate it on the beach with a take away can of beer eat your heart out blackpool

No comments:

Post a Comment