Friday, March 19, 2021

sadly leaving Unst the wheels roll on

Leaving Unst getting to Fetlar
I had thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Unst with lots of mini adventures adding up to a big adventure, most of which you will have already read about if you follow the blog other parts I shall have to be quiet about for now! I love the philosophies of Kant he is correct about so many things, but I believe following guidelines doesn’t make you right and an individual breaking a rule or law now and again can be about freedom against oppression, in my friend Gina’s words so long as you’re not being a cunt! I broke a few guidelines while travelling and potentially a minor law or two? Jay walking riding my cycle while under the influence maybe even a wee private property breach? Regardless which regulations I may or may not have followed, I done no damage I left no rubbish I hurt no ‘one not even myself
I awoke to two messages from stu telling me the ferry times from Unst to Fetlar, the problem was he sent them at 06:00 I never woke until 08:30, the novelty of a warm bed and what I imagined a full day to travel, the ferry`s said different there was two in the morning and two in the evening even if I packed super quick and cycled like a dafty I would now not make the two morning ferries, this meant it would be late when I arrived on Fetlar to find somewhere to camp there is no options of anywhere to stay on Fetlar right now ( well I could maybe have sneaked into the RSPB hide to sleep that would be a broken rule it’s probably locked anyway)
I took my time getting ready a few coffees pleasant shower organize stuff, on reflection it was just aswell I never had Wi-Fi or I would have been even longer, I went into baltasound to the most northern post office in Britain and posted of the cards I had written the previous evening, with their special frank, I sent one to Cammy in Germany with a cool new stamp on it also, I had to get a bigger stamp as we are no longer part of Europe so postage costs have went up, a first class stamp is no longer good enough for Europe it’s the same price as sending a card to Australia now, cheers Brexiteers
With the fully laden bike it was a fair shove to get to the ferry terminal in Belmont Unst some of it uphill against a wind, I arrived just before twelve thinking I had five and a half hours to wait, dash no signal on my phone and I had packed my books, there was a ferry for yell waiting I had a thought and checked the timetable if I went over to yell, I could get the three o’clock sailing to Fetlar, by the look of it? I dashed over and asked the ferry man he said yes, dashed back for the bike and I was off, I love these wee ferries the passenger seats are downstairs with porthole windows right at sea level, I stood on tip toes all the way over peering through my wee window the only passenger hoping to catch a glimpse of orcas that were in the area at this time. But mostly just watching the waves the seabirds and shore,
This left me nearly three hours to kill at the ferry terminal which was fine obviously I was always on my own its just cars going on ferries just now from what I’ve seen, I did consider doing a nearby trig on yell (3-4 mile away) this would be tight so I opted against it, I decided to have a beer and eat some sandwiches I had made, oh and use the nice loo wise decision as there was none where I ended up Its only an half hour crossing again with me on tip toes peering oot the porthole, I was on Fetlar for half three I had saved three hours Braw

No comments:

Post a Comment