Wednesday, March 3, 2021

SGP lunch break exploration

SGP trig points
I consider myself a frustrated adventurer or an explorer rarely a tourist but at my level of adventuring all these words could potentially blend into each other, or be switched about IE- I went exploring while out on an adventure as part of a tourist break, I can say I am a touring cyclists that’s the closest description to my favourite type of cycling, in my opinion that’s the best way to explore the world by bike, you can still have other adventures while cycle touring which is what I do,
BUT can work be an adventure? Yes, off course it can! Going to work on Shetland was and still is a big adventure for me one of my biggest adventures actually, especially during the construction/ commissioning phase there was thousands of people on site working towards building this gas production plant, mega machines and people from all over the world all working together to build a multi-billion pound construction project, that was over seven years ago now, I feel that adventure is nearing its end for me, which is in many ways is a sad thought, I have so many happy memories of my SGP adventure
What has all this got to do with my trig points adventure? Apart from the fact that I am presently back at work! Well; While going about my daily checks at work, I happened to notice a concrete pillar with a brass plate and screw thread poking up, this must be a trig point I thought and where there is one there is others,
I went exploring! Sure, enough after a walk around the area that I was working in I found another, during my lunch break I roped in my trusty auld work mate Robbo to go for a wee site daunder with the intrinsically safe camera, we found six of them altogether, five inside the site boundary fence and another outside between the car park and peat store
these were obviously used by the construction team’s surveillance people to accurately mark out the site, I am amazed that I have been working on this site for approaching eight years and yet never seen these before, well I have seen them as they are in such prominent places you cant miss them, but I have never previously gave much thought as to what they were and what their purpose was
a braw wee lunch time trig point adventure, I got a picture of them all but only one with me on top of the trig that one being the one that’s off site, as going on top of trig points while at work would be a definite health and safety no/no,

No comments:

Post a Comment