Saturday, March 13, 2021

round two nineteen to go 3 weeks to do it!

Unst bound Friday is change over day for the shifts at work these days it used to be Tuesdays pre-covid, this should change back as its all about the time it takes for test results, we workers need to go in for a few hours on our last morning when we are dayshift, this is to await the new shift arriving either from Aberdeen or from all over the isles, I was all prepared with the bike loaded at site ready for the new shift arriving at ten, then I cycled off with three weeks of trig point hunting adventuring/exploring to do before a return to work,
Due to distances numbers and logistics I decided the best option was to cycle direct from work to Unst, which is in the far North of the Shetland Isles, It’s the northernmost of the inhabited British Isles and is the third-largest island in Shetland after the Mainland (378sq ml) and Yell(83sq ml). Unst has an area of 46 square miles. Unst is so much more than the UK's most northerly island, it’s one of Europe's best hidden treasures. boasting unspoilt views of rugged landscapes, just some of the highlights I was looking forward to were - Skidbladner Longhouse for Viking heritage. Norwick Beach. Along with the popular Skaw Beach - the most northerly people in the UK! If your standing on Skaw Beach, you will be the most northerly person in the UK! Unst boat haven, muness castle, Saxa Vord space centre, bobbies bus shelter balta isle and six other trig points to do
I was the only one cycling away from work, (perhaps a first ever) the rest of the troops were either boarding the bus for the airport that I would previously have taken, I could now say I would not be taking that bus to the airport ever again having pledged to go flight free for 2021, yet slowly coming to a realisation that I may never take another flight in my life, everyone is happy going home though regardless if on the bus or their own vehicle. I was happy also setting off on what felt like a holiday for me still dreaming of living the life I wouldn’t need to take a holiday from! Or was I already living that dream starting this day? It certainly felt like it with a big smile as I cycled off wind at my back getting up a fair speed
The cycle from site to the town off Mossbank I have already cycled and ran countless times, it always frustrates me that this road is part of the national cycle route one, there is plenty of space either side of the road for a cycle track yet cyclists are forced to use the narrow road which is far too busy to be part of the NCN, for the ferries north I turned left at the start of mossbank at the monument to the fishing disaster, to get to the first ferry of the day to the isle of yell from toft on the mainland
Looking at my maps it was going to be a fair cycle this day my intended destination for the first night was Gardiesfauld Hostel & Camping Park Uyeasound on Unst, this by counting on the squares on my O/S map was a cycle of around thirty five kilometres plus a two ferry journey, which is plenty for one day on a fully laden bike and camp to set up i was incredibly lucky with the ferry timongs and the wind direction nearly aleays at my back, i also managed to dodge the worst of the showers
and i got the tent up in a good location between showers, added bonus of s walk up gallow hill for s trig point a good start

No comments:

Post a Comment