Friday, January 22, 2021

what is an adventure

 


the adventure begins today Friday 22nd I'm all packed with one last nightshift (possibly my last ever nightshift) done , the daunder is in her locker I nearly said his locker there! but there is no way I am riding a male bike, the panniers were all packed in my room, i just required to snatch some sleep and some breakfast before departure on the bus to the airport with the lads going home, I off course would not be joining them on the flight home as i have pledged zero flights in 2021 


  What sort of adventure is this my Shetland trig point cycle tour? One of my favourite authors and an all-round good guy Alistair Humphreys has written a few books on adventure his most famous one being called microadventures a word he is attributed to inventing, I personally loved this book it was very inspirational I give it and him a mention in my own book which is now at the stage of going to the editor, Alistair’s other book grand adventures focuses on much bigger adventures but due to covid he is now stuck to doing nano adventures much like the rest of us! I don’t think I have coined the name nano adventure. I just up with it while I was thinking of a scale for my own adventure? Some of which will be in my book here is my personal scale of adventure making/taking

1.       Mega adventure – go into space the deepest part of the ocean the poles via human or wind power only

2.       Grand adventure – sail cycle or row around the world climb Everest or all the highest peaks on all the continents

3.       Big adventure – skate run hike the length of a continent Europe Americas Africa Oz etc, run an ultra the MDS the cape wrath ultra, row the Atlantic

4.       Life adventure – take a motorhome campervan motorbike boat around the world over a year or three

5.        Box ticking adventure – do all the Scottish Munros or all the trig points in the uk all peaks over a certain height in the uk or Europe, (this is harder than some grander adventures but can be done while still holding down a job or quitting your home)

6.       Medium adventure – cycle the LEJOG the M2M or the C2C maybe one of the European vello routes up the rhine down the Danube? (I’ve done all of these for fun holidays)

7.       Lifestyle adventure – become vegetarian, vegan, dairy free, get married get divorced, have children change career or job go to uni

8.       Micro adventure – see Alistair’s book

9.         Small adventure – hire a tandem for a day, go to a climbing wall take a ski lesson run a half marathon

10.   Nano adventure – walk to the highest point you can see from your front door cook a Caribbean fruit curry ( yes I think you can be adventurous with your food it’s a subject in my book) eat something you have never ate before learn a new language, bake a cake, take a cookery lesson do some foraging, brew some beer




My latest adventure could be placed anywhere between a six to a three I think, obviously all of this is just my own perspective from many others perspective what I am doing is not adventurous at all from others it would seem ludicrously adventurous, the important thing for me is to get out there and never stop learning/growing

Beau Miles made an adventure out of eating nothing but beans for month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2AwuUV0Jjg

this covid19 does not have to stop us from having a wee adventure, yes big adventures are out and minimise all risks as the emergency services need to focus on people with corona virus, it’s gonna be the year of the micro adventure I would say, I once paid for a yellow fever vaccine so I could travel from Ecuador through to Peru Bolivia and chilli, this proof of vaccination was kept in my passport but never got checked at borders but if i had been asked and never had it then i would not have been allowed into that country! perhaps we shall have to be the same with corona to travel  



No comments:

Post a Comment