Sunday, January 31, 2021

goodbye to the wee chalet at easterhoull

Easterhoull chalets were ideal for me it was a shame I was in a chalet all by myself cooking for one a double room unslept in, it was also a shame it was winter with snow and ice all over the pathways, but there is also positives to these points I can turn that frown upside down easily by thinking no midges! Any other year at this time I could have been here for the fire festival Scalloway’s up helly Aa, I went by the beat of my own drum doing my own thing so I should be happy about the freedom it brought me,
I could easily have stayed longer there is lots to see and do in this area, it’s a shame the museums cafes pubs and visitor attractions were all closed due to covid19, there was still loads of outdoors activities to keep me busy and the weather was good cold but clear you can’t ask for better than that at this time of year,
The person that owns the chalets is also an artist Sarah Kay Arts, check out her stuff on her web page (I like it), she has some buttons on display in this chalet I love them and at present I fully intend to make an order for some of her buttons for my favourite waistcoat, she is not the only cottage art studio/business here on Shetland there seems to be a few dotted all around I have regularly passed studios, sometimes in the most remote location you will pass a road with a sign art studio this way open, the artist that owns these chalets also does some cool work with beach glass I’m a sucker for some upcycling, there is a piece of art in the hall of this chalet with beach class on it I really like it,
On top of all that there is also her award-winning garden where she up cycle’s waste and plants bird friendly trees and insect loving plants creating a well needed corner of biodiversity in these sheepwrecked areas,
Maybe one day I could return to this area in the summer as part of a cycle touring holiday with friends or family, if I do I would be happy to stay here again for now i was sad to be leaving the place, BUT i have a mission and a plan its time to move on
Lerwick here i come

No comments:

Post a Comment