Sunday, January 31, 2021

decision made time for Lerwick

Time for Lerwick It is a total Faff and time thief packing and cleaning I was up at eight, but the rules of staying in self-catered accommodation is you leave it as you found it! I had been there five days so there was a fair bit of packing tidying and cleaning to get done, this is a big enough pest when you have a car or some motorized transport with a car parked at the door, I didn’t I was cycling with camping gear and chalet six was down a set of steep icy snowy slid`y stairs, it was after ten before I had the bike all loaded and chalet cleaned,
The sun was out again I was happy (with the weather not to be leaving) it was truly cold though! I seem to spend an unusual amount of time thinking about what stuff I would be better with and what I should have left behind? As I cycled off, I was thinking a snood instead of a buff and merino wool skull cap would be better! These sort of questions never end, I am starting to think there is no correct answer, too much stuff you sweat when pushing hard up a hill freeze your wet clothes on the downhill, too little stuff you never get a heat with toe`s and fingers the first victims being the extremities, I will no doubt write more on this as the weeks go on as it’s a huge issue regardless if you are hiking running cycling walking keeping warm and dry is essential to happiness, or maybe I should read some wim hoff (the iceman) and embrace the cold
It was weird yet again getting used to the fully laden bike, the tent strapped to the handlebars and front panniers made for wobbly steering, somehow in my head I had came to a conclusion I had fourteen miles to cycle? Scalloway to Lerwick. The road was slushy with snow narrowed for traffic but fortunately not too busy I cycled off happy, ready to progress the mission, its not pleasant being a cycle tourist at the best of times on a car road with no side area for cycling but when its narrowed by slush and snow I felt I was a nuisance to car van and truck drivers on the road, not so much on the nice easy downhill section toward the golf course junction, (totally covered in snow but flags still in the holes?!) the next uphill section is where I felt bad as I was slow and could hear traffic slowing behind me,
Once I crested the hill, I could appreciate the blue skies as I seen the calm sea in the distance life was good, strange how calm seas with a clear sky in bright sunshine can make you smile even if it is cold and the mudguards are full of slush, I stopped to take a photo of a snow-covered sign thinking this cant possibly be my turning? But it was! My destination turned out to be less than seven kilometers it hardly felt worth while loading the bike for such a short journey!
I text Duncan ton say I was at my apartment he has had a recent covid test all clear, neither of us has been anywhere or done any partying we decided it would be ok to go walking together, there was a trig point near my apartment, Duncan said he would do it with me, it was behind a quarry and over some open peat bog up to cress the map said was hill of dale but trigpointing uk says hill of fitch! It was great to have someone who could take my photo at the pillar no timers or stands to set up, Dunc is a fast walker though who takes the lead we were up mand down very quick
I then grabbed shopping from Tesco Dunc said why don’t we go have a look at the next one is it far? No buddy it’s not says I showing him kebister ness on the map, oh aye says Dunc I know it lets go! He is a go getter oor Duncan once the dug had the bit in its teeth lol, we were out to the next trig in no time, as we were halfway out on this walk, we spotted two otters playing, we stopped dead! Dunc says get your camera kenjo I got the phone out for a shot but they darted off as I was taking pictures of their escape route, otters are just too camera shy! Or I am too slow
I was then free for the evening to enjoy my nice self-catered apartment the scooty allen with a pleasant stir fry dinner and a hot bath Bliss, with the snow falling outside I was glad not to be in my tent! Tomorrow things will be different

No comments:

Post a Comment