Thursday, February 11, 2021

doing the last mainland easy hitters

Planning-Motivation-worries-choices Waking up at Eshaness lighthouse cold and tired, I couldn’t be bothered with breakfast I just felt time to get going, I organized the back of the van had a look around the icy car park with all my layers on, I had fond memories of walks around here the cliffs and the cannonball I would like to see the huge sea cave one day, but today it was icy and snowy, I was alone it was time to move on perhaps for the last time here?
The original plan that day for here was to drive up to hamnavoe johny notions bod park up get the bike out and cycle a couple of mile then hike to a trig called the faither. I drove to the road turning and thought! No way not in this thing,(the big van with no winter tyres)then later i got pissed off at myself for not driving there the previous day to the bod instead of the lighthouse, I drove down to Hillswick the shop wasn’t open for coffee but I got the loo, decisions decisions? People often ask me on this journey where next? And I can honestly say 80% of the time I don’t know! This day was like that the original plan was fecked, what to do?
OK i decided on the easiest option? I would head back and get the one at vidlin i then knew where it truly should be. Telling myself I knew exactly where it was now. I don’t yet need reading glasses I wear mine for distance but this is an example of what’s coming there is talk at the opticians of bifocals! I now knew exactly where to park and which direction to head easily finding the trig this time,not at the local high points but lower down out near the sea,the job was done in half an hour, still gutted about the wasted time and effort previously, looking for a biro mark! which was all a hard trek for nothing the previous evening also if i had only just parked there for the night i could potentially have had this one done before breakfast, ah well it wouldnt be an adventure if everything went to plan
I bought a coffee at the shop I am truly growing to love these country stores we must do something to preserve them, where I live, we have absolutely nothing like these anymore, I was looking at the stuff and wondering does anyone still buy these things anymore from an actual shop? Every single store throughout my journey has been nothing but pleasant and helpful I like it,
Its short days at this time of year you need to plan everything around daylight hours, I knew I could get another trig point this day by driving further south to an area called nesting, this was much like the previous one a pleasant enough hill trek/hike whatever over undulating frozen peat bog to the trig with decent views, they always have decent views in good weather, and i had been lucky with the weather view wise i had plenty clear skies Once this was done, I decide I must drive north I had to complete the northern mainland the previous nights sleep at Eshaness lighthouse was a mistake! I would go back up north and wipe these north mainland ones out (hopefully?), stop myself whimpering its cold up north like some sooth softie on game of thrones lol

No comments:

Post a Comment