Wednesday, February 17, 2021

A grand stay in lerwick

I had made the journey from yell to lerwick much quicker than expected, I was in lerwick with two and a half hours to spare before my appointment, I bought some fish out the chippy, taking the fish back to the car, the seagulls know when you have food at the harbour so annoying, they were right at the car window standing on the bonnet squawking, I ignored them what filled most of this time in this car park was thinking about where to stay for the next three nights? I had this days appointment at the chiropractor lerwick then two the next day one at the gas plant the other back in lerwick for a medical
After much thought I opted to book somewhere in lerwick for all three nights, I took a walk and discovered the grand hotel, mega central right in the heart of lerwick and looked just like its name grand, solid stone high ceiling turrets a proper old-fashioned hotel, I tried the web site to phone for a price the number online was not correct, there was a note on the front door which had a number to call I phoned it. While speaking to the chap he said are you the fella at the door I said yes, he said I will come down and see you, it turns out this very pleasant chap was the new owner they had only bought the place two months ago and basically the whole hotel is going through a big refurb. If I wanted a room it would be x amount but it would be room only. No worries buddy all good with me, I was in the grand for three nights and liked it, it’s weird being the only guest in a hotel and rubbish the bar and kitchen was shut, mostly the bar though as hotel breakfasts and meals can be bit of a non-event for people with my dietary choices!
this hotel has all the characteristics of what you would expect of a title of grand, big strong wooden stairwells big windows old paintings thick carpet chandeliers I loved it but the new owners have a huge task ahead much of this old building will need ripped out and rebuilt the sky light had leaked causing damp they were working on this and other roof issues, I do not envy them their work but they seem to know how much they have got to do and are going at it,
the owner kept checking with me to see if I needed anything, so I asked him if I could get a wee tour of the hotel bar, no problem he said this was great I got to see the dining room with its fireplace and big windows old paintings, some people would call it dated I would call it classical much better than the modern day chain hotels I am used to staying in this had character, the high ceilings had beautifull plaster work with in places gold cherubs, the woodwork was embossed also with gold paint in the decorative carved areas, there was two bars to see and he fully intends to put a hand pump ale on when all this pandemic stuff is over with, again these bars had character with great old paintings and photos, then the best bit a tour of posers nightclub he even put the lights on for me and some tunes oh it was indeed a grand tour, he promised me that the next time I come to stay he will make sure I get one of the fancy rooms with a harbour view, I shall definitely take him up on that offer and I hope by then the bar will be open for an ale also
my covid test result got sent via text to me from the NHS! its normally an email from the company, I got a fright when the text came through as its headline made me think it was track and trace stuff, but nope a negative result I was cleared for mobilization, I had also been for a medical, I had a bit of trouble finding the place as its still under the construction, you need to use the back door again no issues the doctor who gave the medical is a bit of a local legend and he can talk! Turns out he was once a touring cyclist and had a near death accident in Norway, I got this story along with many others as he complimented me on my health for my age except of course the hearing test!
While out and about in lerwick being a proper tourist I was up at fort charlotte again,I came across a big red letter with an A4 info sheet attached, it was a word search treasure trail with clues to the next destination? I ended up doing this as I’ve never done one before! Then after four or five easily found letters in shop windows and stuff I realized it was for the bairns! They really should get the pubs back open, men like me shouldn’t be oot doing bairns treasure hunts, I started to fantasies about an adult one for pubs find a big red T outside a harbor bar go inside and find your next clue at the bottom of a glass
Staying right in the center of town in tier three meant I could sit down in cafes for breakfast and lunch, they close at six but there was two take away chippies also a Nepalese noodle bar and a Chinese, all within easy walking distance open later than six
The chiropractor says I can be fixed, he reckons it’s a fascia issue on my second visit to him the first was an assessment he gave me a poke and prod, along with some serious stretching while his elbow was forced into my hip at various points one or two explisives were said! He emailed me some stretches I’ve to do these twice a day and made another appointment in ten days’ time, Its bloody ironic that he thinks it’s the fascia, as nearly all of the forgotten art of running book was about how important activating your facia was to perfecting technique and avoiding injury! I don’t think that was what was to blame though now anyway, I think it was a combination of too much time at desks and not enough stretching

1 comment: