Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Lochside to Brechin


Lochside sunshine to wet tent
              
 
The birds can be very noisy I had heard them a lot throughout the night whilst dosing on and off in the Bivvy, I liked the little hood on giving me a little head-space next time I will put more jackets and stuff in the head space area to prop my head up the one wee travel pillow wasn’t enough, once I had submitted to the fact I would not get back to sleep at six am due to bird noise and sunshine poking at me through my alpkit Bivvy cocoon, unzipping the fly net section of the hood more for trial than to enjoy peering through it at the sunrise, I had slept through  the actual sunrise so it was more a sort of morning glow than any tequila style beauty, beautiful none the less, coffee sitting on the wee log would have been nice. but I had intentionally left all cooking and fire making equipment at home, it was nature bars to eat whilst taking my time packing everything away ready to set off it was a beautiful morning, once cycling along the forest trail I was surprised to see dog walkers and other cyclists already out and about, I am never out the house this early unless going to work,
                It wasn’t too far before I hit a trail sign pointing out a route to a car park and having studied the map knew I wanted to take this car park route to get back on the road to head north, cycling upon a corner coop in Milnathort within the first forty minuet’s of cycling was perfect, there was a coffee machine in the shop and a large selection of snacks and drinks (obviously) hot coffee and an egg sandwich for breakfast tasted phenomenal, trying to follow a plant based lifestyle is difficult whilst on the move but I have come to learn that egg and cress are all at least normally dairy free it has been over eighteen months at that time of writing since I had any dairy, some people call eggs dairy they are not! I know that I should feel bad about these type of mass produced eggs but needs must sometimes, there was very few vegan options, the young man at the till asked me to do my own scanning and would prefer con-tactless payment, which was fine by me social distancing is here to stay I sometimes think especially for some people, eating my sandwich and enjoying good hot coffee in the sun whilst unlocking the bike and checking the map in a corner shop car park may sound shit to some people? but I was in my element extremely happy at the good fortune I was having,
Hodophile - a lover of the road
                One of the other reasons I was happy was my phone battery almost dead, I had put it to low power mode and flight mode, I thought I had forgot my charging cable( I hadn’t it was in a different bag from where I thought it was) the purchase of a new cable here at this co-op was not required but I thought it was at the time, smiling happily to myself as I worked out a way to plug it into my headpost USB dynamo charger unit and a front bar bag, here we go a chance to trial my new USB dynamo charger excellent thinks I, it turns out there is a wee green light comes on to say its charging when you get up to a certain speed or enough hub revolutions to generate I think 5Volts? then this really just gives a trickle charge its enough to keep the phone functioning and going up slightly-not dying, I had it plugged in the rest of the day and it still didn’t go above 25% charged (maybe I shoulda peddled faster!)
                I had made my decision to cross the river Tay at Perth not at Tayport near the east coast, according to the map this meant following cycle route 775 up through a village called Glenfarg on mostly country roads and sometimes roadside paths, this is exactly what it was some great downhill sections in glorious sunshine through farming country which was beautiful even if I did get sprayed by some sort of grit like crop feed at one point it was like your car getting hit by the council gritter pellets in winter, the road narrowed at a forested area at one stage and I chose to stop a couple of times to allow some considerate truck drivers to pass who didn’t want to overtake me on a bendy road like that with no clear vision ahead,
                Path signs for cyclists strangely ended on the outskirts of Perth with a few merging roads I stopped to have a look at my map and eat a biscuit having filled my platypus with water that morning with a litre bottle of peach flavoured water the sunny day had parched me and I drained it finished my biscuit quickly and just stuffed my map in my pocket as I was probably going to need it in the city centre was I got there, the signs were disappointing city centre but I went through the lovely big tree lined park over the main road through some shops then onto the banks of the river Tay, simple enough really I only had to cross the nice bridge to the north shore and turn right following the far bank of the Tay all the way to Dundee, the gardens at the far side were beautiful I walked a section to enjoy it contemplating stopping for photos but the phone (which I was using for my photos) was still low on charge most photos that day were handle bar shots phone still connected to headpost charger,
                These lovely garden paths also went out to a mid-river island I wish I had time to visit, having seen this pathway numerous times from the train and always thinking one day I shall cycle that, here I was living that dream, but the dream and the reality didn’t match when the path ended abruptly not long after the railway bridge and turned left up some seriously steep stairs with big steps and no ramp for a bike, without heavy panniers on I would have shouldered the bike easily but with heavy panniers every single one of those big steps was a crap obstacle, I wish now I had counted them or even took a photo, once at the top of the stairs my route was then joining a main road out of town not the dreamed off pleasant cycle path,
                Roughly knowing where I was safe in the knowledge of keeping the river on my right shoulder would get me to my destination; I was still curious if I had missed a trick somewhere and decided to consult the map? Wearing a very handy cycling Gillet with two excellent big back pockets for storing stuff one of which has a pocket flap with a magnetic catch, why did I shove that map in the side pocket? I hate to think I had created some waste I was gutted I had lost a good map! I love maps I hoped someone would find it that could use it, but no way was I going to backtrack to the far side of town to look for it!
                A later check showed that I had missed a trick there looked to be a good cycle route up around kinfauns, which has a hilltop tower I’ve often admired from car windows on the busy A90, there also looked to be a good round the Tay cycle route similar to my beloved round the forth route (maybe one day?) I was by then on a walking path alongside the busy A90 for what feels far too long on a cycle trip, until eventually at a town called st madoes I crossed a level crossing and was onto some lovely back country roads, this is a huge area for soft fruit growing with huge areas covered by poly tunnels a very lush farming area, my favourite part of this area though is the Cairn o` Mohr fruit winery I regularly buy their wines and maybe one day will take part in the international wine bottle smashing competition it’s a great place to visit, sadly shut due to coronavirus when I cycled close by had it been open it would have made a perfect lunch stop,
                   I stopped instead for lunch in the town of errol asking a fellow cyclist to watch my bike at the town centre memorial while I went in to buy lunch at the wee shop. Then Eating it while reading the town tourist info notices the sun was blazing to the extent I was contemplating raking out my sun cream from one of the panniers, the weather report had said it would get rain and wind later but there was no sign of that yet,
                It was a pleasant cycle all the way from there into Dundee and onto the banks of the Tay for a lovely cycle path through town bringing back lots of happy memories of visits to that good city, discovery point the restaurants bars and hotels that I knew well from past visits, the only sadness was the now missing swimming baths we loved that big pool, I stopped at the edge of the city and spoke to a fellow cyclist asking some questions? explaining I had lost my map he got his phone out and had a look at my proposed route recommending that when I get to Arbroath I shouldn’t go right into town but instead head out the Forfar road at the start of town, thanking him and cycling on I came to the impressive site of broughty castle which I had never seen before I thought I knew this coastline extremely well and here was a big castle I never even known existed impossible not to see from the shore and town!
                The rest of the cycle up this coast was through picturesque holiday home towns it was sad to see all the big static caravans lying empty the gates to the holiday villages padlocked shut in the Hight of summer, the golf courses were back open though and although the grass was very parched and requiring the rain that was coming later they were all busy, Carnoustie has polite signs on the cycle path reminding cyclists and walkers to be respectful of golfers and be quiet as they pass! I’ve seen the cycle path going through the army base of Barry Buddon with its rifle ranges and assault course countless times from the train it’s a big camp impossible to miss, yet again always thinking to myself while on that train one day I will cycle that path, I stopped to take a photo of the firing range warning sign and smiled happily to be fulfilling that long held ambition,
      
         
The cycle path at the shore in Arbroath has a large play-park with mini ride on train amusement arcades all the trappings of a seaside holiday town, I had to find the first pedestrian tunnel to cycle under the main road, where a slight spit of rain drizzled briefly a warning of what was coming as I gazed at the darkness on the horizon, a phone call from my work came in doing a premobilisation health check, after the call I text my sister Karen to make sure I was about to take the correct road turning toward Forfar next to mcd`s & KFC, yep that was the road fourteen miles to go a race against the rain, this ruled out my desire to cycle in and buy some smokies from my favourite fish smoker Mr spinks
                The days cycling so far had been glorious sunshine virtually no wind nice and warm, now the sunglasses were off it was overcast prescription specs on a cold breeze picking up, I cycled up past commando base condor where I stopped to take a picture to send my brother as he was based here for a while, he text back to say that he had ran along that road many a time, it was all rolling undulating country roads not really fun for cycling too much traffic, I did smile as I passed through Friockheim as I have a friend who grew up in a tiny village around here and this was her main town as a child, the rest of the cycle had just became all about getting to the destination I was hungry getting cold wanting a beer and starting to moan to myself 
                I got to Karen and Allan’s house just as the rain started to come on perfect timing, Karen had pitched a nice big tent for me in her front garden, I waved at her through her patio door as she typed away at her computer headphones on working from home on some sort of conference meeting, I emptied my panniers and stuff into the tents seating area, six and a half hours to do sixty seven miles I was ready for a beer, Karen had some beer chilling along with dinner cooked a great sister, this and a visit from two of my nephews Richard and kenny, all observing social distancing of course none of the normal handshakes. It was fantastic to see them all what a great day    

No comments:

Post a Comment