Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Brechin morning


Brechin to Westhill
                 Waking at Karen and Allan’s house knowing that the hardest parts of the cycling were now done was great. Also I knew there would be a nice breakfast and they have great taste in coffee all meant it was a pleasant morning, except my sister had to work doing various conference calls from her house, this actually worked out ok as I required to use the WIFI especially for emails from work, I was expecting details on how my proposed test for coronavirus would be conducted along with confirmation the hotel was booked for two nights or it would be a cold park bench in Aberdeen that night! Emails wassap Instagram along with a bit of route checking. Still gutted about losing the map and frustrated at my inability to receive data on my phone made navigation to the hotel in westhill an issue, easy to see the route typed up on a screen with a simple search but that would not be available once on route, being auld and no so internet savvy I made yet another blunder pen and paper for directions! Screen shots would defo have been the way forward (hey ho you live and learn) Karen made us soup and rolls for lunch it was fantastic my nephew kenny came around to say bye, I eventually finished packing, with watch and phone now fully charged along with a full belly all was good
              
 
Leaving the bivvy bag airing in the hall along with one pannier full of stuff that I should no longer require, hopefully for collection on my way home in two weeks’ time,  it was then after one PM before I was finally ready to set off, Karen took a photo as I set off, no hand shake no hug not even a high toe lol SEE YAH take care text when you arrive, I was off on the road between brechin and Montrose I have done this numerous times in cars vans motorbikes running and walking, this would be the first time cycling, but in the full knowledge it would not be a pleasant cycle it’s a narrow road with a couple of tight bends with fast cars and trucks (I don’t enjoy running along it due to this), lady luck was with me this day the road is crap to cycle and the cars and trucks do squeeze past at speed far too closely but I had a fantastic tail wind, being in top gear the full way meant I wasn’t in the danger areas long I just had to keep a wary eye for potholes that I didn’t want to hit while a truck was flying up ma bahookie! Both of us at speed
                Once in Montrose I was unsure if it would be possible to get down to some shore side cycle path I tried going down the road beside the airport museum, this is a place I have previously visited and would like to visit again one day, no surprise that the museum and its road to the beach were shut! a return to the main road it was then staying on the road side path for as long as I could, It was eventually on to the busy B-road, thankfully spotting the entrance to the start of a cycle path a few mile out of town, it was a gravelly path but nice to be off the road, then a huge bonus of it joining up the route of a disused railway line that went over an impressive large viaduct looking way down on the main road and the river far below
                At the north end of the viaduct is a millennium post then a cycle route sign post, the sign post pointed downhill below the viaduct to the nature reserve beach, and also onto the main road both the same route, the nature reserve being longer with a steep uphill to the town of st Cyrus, knowing this town well due to my sister having once lived there, I felt no need to visit especially by bicycle along a main road, the sign also said I could get to jonshaven the next town both ways same distance no mention of hill? Hoping for a shore path to jonshaven I opted for the beach, at the far end of this beautiful beach a road rises steeply from  sea level to st Cyrus, a path does head along the shore but it’s a walking path I took it a short distance and spoke to a walker, according to him it was a no goer for a bike like mine, back i went to go up the steep hill it was then, steep hills are no real problem for the daunder it has very low gearing, 
unfortunately the rain came on a bit giving me the opportunity to trial the new cape I had bought, it was a sweaty beast thick plastic which would make a good tarp for roadside bivvy but it was a sweat factory on an uphill cycle, the view from the top was fantastic the rain stopped the cape packed away again and photos taken of the lovely country house and gardens no regrets with trying the beach road 
                It would have been a lot quicker sticking with the main road as I knew this road well along with the main street of picturesque town of St Cyrus, once through the town I was stuck on that main B road verge for a long time two hours seems like a long time cycling on main roads, I did stop briefly at the big bite in gourdon (och aye the noo) which was unfortunately shut, but I managed to get a shop in Inverbervie for snacks and drinks and photos of the cutty sark bow,  which brought back happy memories of previous visits to that town in Grassic gibbon country,  who is the author of my second favorite audio-book if any of the readers can guess my favourite audio-book of all time? I shall buy them a beer/dram or wine of their choice 
             
  
There was a turning to the left of the main road on what seemed to be not too far from Stonehaven it had a cycle route one sign on it (no map no data) contemplating the fact it could take me miles away from my route I was considering staying with the main road, but seen a young couple come out a cottage I cycled up to them and explained I was trying to get to the far side of Stonehaven would this be a good way to go, definitely they said in unison nice couple and enthusiastic about the back road I took their advice, it was a lovely road AB39 I found out later this is what it was, it took me away from the busy A92 angus coastal road up past a nice looking wood walk with plenty wood carvings around it 
                As I cycled along this route I came across some cows very close to the road they were all looking at me but seemed unafraid and stayed their ground which was unusual this close, the very next field had some horses they all had winter blankets on even though it was June, there was two girls stopped and were stroking their noses feeding them with something just walkers obviously that had stopped to pet the lovely horses, I wondered by what fate of history did these two similar mammals get the difference between a good deal and a shit deal cows are used but horses are worshiped its bizarre to me!
                The pleasant country road came to a strange end as the road went on to join the busy A90 where the cycle path went back on itself 220yds according to a sign to cross the road, I could clearly see Stonehaven way down at sea level in the distance and the area I wanted to be to pick up the B979 at the far end of town near the new section of A90 which you are not allowed to cycle on, it looked a long way away to town, I guessed (wrongly) the cycle path would go down and through town to come back up the other end and join this road (partially true) without going into too much detail I ended up cycling along a short section of the old A90 before finding the roundabout where I could join the B979, some motorists were a touch irate about this I got a couple of toots argh well!
                The signposts at the roundabout were great for motorists I could clearly see where I should drive for my destination, but the old backroad had no sign for my next destination Peterculter? I went up a hill decided I better go back and be sure, I stopped a girl who was cycling up she was uncertain about Peterculter but knew that road I had come back from would take me the back way to Aberdeen, off I went a pleasant enough back road except for two boy racers, after two or three mile on this road a cycle sign for cycle route number one appeared at a turning to the right under the new bypass road A90, I stopped at this junction! I know Aberdeen well and know that national cycle route one goes right through the centre down by the harbour, whereas I was heading to westhill at the far end of town!? Dilemmas no data no map no screen shot? was I on the right road should I just take the cycle route then head for Dyce and westhill once at the town centre?
                Karen had gave me two boiled eggs with some chopped onion in a bag I had crisps to go with this, along with some juice from the shop I had stopped at, a wee scoff while thinking this over was in order, after peeling the eggs I spotted a delivery van turning into my junction! Old school ask someone was the only way, I flagged it down as it slowed for the turn and asked for help very politely explaining my dilemma, the van driver looked like the TV chef Ainsley Harriot. He was very helpful he checked his mobile phone for directions, stick with the road you were on mate the B979 don’t take this one as it goes into town the AB39. Excellent it helped me enjoy my lunch all the more in the knowledge I was on the right road, and ponder if other people ever stopped to ask strangers for directions anymore?
        
       
The sign said nine mile to Peterculter I passed the Aberdeen husky and dogsled centre and some shed in the middle of nowhere which had an old fighter jet at its gate but apart from that it was a dull winding undulating road through rolling countryside with no real view, as soon as I arrived at the north end of Peterculter, I immediately knew I would have to ask someone again for directions, the road crossed a stream and then a busy road leading to another road there was a cycle path sign this one for the dee way, again I was certain this went back to the centre of town, from memory I was sure it was to Duthie park I ran this route a few years ago, I wanted to be further north west, I asked a chap with a broken arm out for a walk, yet again he was a great help and pointed me up a hill swing left at the top pass an equestrian centre then follow the country road for about half an hour! Thanks said I you have been a great help if only I had listened more intently, I missed my left turn and ended up on a fly over on the only decent piece of cycle path of the whole route it didn’t last long as per usual and I had to stop a couple and ask if I was on the right track I wasn’t I had cycled past the left turn three quarters of the way up the hill,
                The country road had no signs saying westhill I passed a few roads shooting right and left with absolutely nothing but the occasional farm house left or right for five or six mile I came to a roundabout, yet again no sign for westhill I took a guess at turning right towards Aberdeen came to a garden centre then a big welcome to westhill sign YESss now to find the hotel, I first came to the huge industrial estates with firstly totals offices and then many of the other major players in the north sea but no hotels I discovered a big Tesco and remembered that from the last time I had stayed there and went for a jog around town, I’ve stayed a few times at different hotels and always had a jog around, yet again I resorted to asking a couple if they knew where the hotel was they did and gave me good directions to the service station along the main road sure enough that’s where it was, I had arrived it was half seven, around six and half hours cycling,
                First thing first I went to the service station spar for beer and discovered they have a truly wonderful selection of beers I purchased a few for my room, once at reception due to covid many things had changed you never went near reception you were pointed to a table to retrieve an envelope with your name on it, I asked if it were ok to take my bike to my room so as to prepare it for going as hold luggage which was fine, up the elevator to the third floor for me and the daunder some team
                Days work done beer and text time  





No comments:

Post a Comment