Friday, April 9, 2021

bagging trigs on final week

Robbo is on a high it`s his last trip, I’ve never seen the grumpy auld bugger so happy, well actually that’s not true, he was always happy while at whisky club especially when the Burra had won. I’m not sure if that was perhaps due to plenty sausages to snack on at the Moorfield! as then he was happy as the proverbial pig. Over Seven years now we have been working together at the Shetland gas plant, here we were sharing our last trip together, we were both A shift during the commissioning faze of the plant, then I moved to D shift, these days there isn’t really a shift the rota doesn’t work like that anymore, Robbo has one week longer than me to do as I am on a two week trip, this is due to a bump in my rota to accommodate people not having to work too many Christmas and new years in a row, it’s very complicated to explain a five year working rota, so you my reader will just have to accept that fate had gave me a good hand, I was getting a lucky break in the rota at the best time for me, my final two weeks at work were shared with Robbo`s final three weeks of work, robbo is retiring I am? Well what am I doing? Too young to retire as under fifty-five not so sure I will ever retire in the true sense of the word anyway! What now for me? An explorer? An adventurer? A traveller? A vagabond? A writer? Perhaps all of these
Robbo has been in on the trig point adventure with me also right from the start, not walking to them obviously not wi those knees, but driving and taking photos his photography is getting better all the time, this is what he hopes to do with his retirement time practice his photography, today the ninth of April I put in my official resignation, then me and robbo went for a walk round site to catch our last photo together In the previous blog where I had written there was six construction trig points on the gas plant, I was wrong! While conducting a gas test for a confined space work scope, I noticed a trig point in a very prominent position! How I had previously missed this I have absolutely no idea? it’s a classic example of how most of us walk around not noticing our surroundings, but now I am certain there is seven SGP trig points, I’m reasonably confident I am the only person ever or ever will be likely to be photographed next to them all, which makes me happy in a fun way to add these to my Shetland trig point adventure I’ve yet again been lucky to be at my final two weeks at work during some bad weather there was high winds and heavy sleet over the past week. I hope this will last until next Friday when I shall walk out those work gates for the final time


Bagging

I thought I was bad for bagging trig points, but I am not in the same league as some? take for example rob Woodall the first man to bag all 6190 trig points! it took him 13years! - 

 

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/2016/04/rob_woodall_is_first_to_bag_all_6000+_trig_points-70404

 

he not only out shines me at trig point bagging, but also ticking of Humps and Marilyn’s, I don’t yet bother counting these or to count my Graeme’s corbets humps Marilyn’s or my mainland trig points! at present I am on around 130 Munros, I have no idea how many of those have trig points? that is my Munro bagging which is separate from this project/adventure/goal why do it? maybe because I like to add things to a list of cool things I’ve done I suppose, the reason is probably less important than the fact it keeps me going out and doing stuff, this adventure for example is a combination of lots of different interests – cycle touring – hill walking -  running – camping – testing of me and my equipment before a much bigger expedition -  sightseeing – learning cultural and historical facts and info while touring one of the most beautiful places in the world, plus ticking of a box to say I’ve done this cool thing what’s not to like?


but am i a box ticker an adventurer an explorer a tourist or a travellor? A tourist experiences disconnected sights and sounds and enjoys them without drawing meaning. A traveler roams the earth, digests what he sees and hears, and collects them in a framework of understanding, which he both brings to his travels and deepens with travels. The former is a pleasant interlude in your life. The latter is about life itself.
— George Friedman,

No comments:

Post a Comment