Thursday, June 17, 2021

Aberdoom - Kaz & Al`s

The unmistakable sound of helicopters trains and police sirens! I was firmly back in a big city Dyce is on the outskirts of the city of Aberdeen, but I was still shocked to see I had 5G on my phone, only days previously I was cycling in areas with zero signal never mind any G`s, the G stands for generation of wireless mobile telecommunications technology, most places north of here were 3G making me smile when I went into an area of 4G normally, as this meant I could surf the web and even do video calling 5G is rare to me,
The cycle route into Dyce splits as it approaches Dyce from the north, I hadn’t noticed this and didn’t study the map properly before setting off, this oversight cost me an hour or so and a few extra miles due to me taking a loop out round the town then back to the cycle track I had been on but not left the previous day, this was frustrating as I should have known better on previous visits to Dyce I would go out for a jog around town after some course or other so I knew the place well,
The route enters Aberdeen through a picturesque area of ancient cathedrals and universities along cobbled paths, an area of Aberdeen I had previously not been to which surprised me! because I had lived and worked in Aberdeen for a while going out running round the streets every night, I thought I had been all over the city but I had missed this historic area somehow,
The timing was perfect for my planned lunch stop, I knew route one went onto the main shopping street of Aberdeen-union Street, this long street of shops bars and restaurants I had been up and down countless times, I have been to every one of those bars in the past some of them countless times, I briefly very briefly considered going to my favourite bar Ma Cameron’s for lunch. The brewdog in union street has outdoor seating where; I could keep an eye on the daunder as I enjoyed a pint along with a very filling vegan burger, the jet 727 airport bus passed and I thought about the numerous times I had sat in this bar timing my pints on boarding that bus for my airport hotel journey, smiling I could say never again to myself, no regrets though I have nothing but fond memories of my time in Aberdeen, I was still smiling as the cycle route passed along crown street where I lived for three months, the only slight sadness was once I had cycled over the river dee footbridge, with fond memories of the countless times I had jogged my wee round the bridges running route whilst in town, I then knew I was heading away out the city and down to the town of cove, the sadness was the thought that I may never return?
It’s a long winding cycle along B roads to reach Stonehaven, I felt it would never end at one stage! it undulates up and at every distant bend I thought I may see a landmark I would recognise only to see the road weave way out in front again crossing over sections of the new A90 at places, they should have been made to build cycle paths at the same time in my opinion, I rounded a section of road to go under the A90 yet again moving away from the coast, this time though my guess was right? I approached a junction I knew and remembered from my commute to work cycle almost one year previously! I had stopped cycling at this road end asking a van driver the direction to Westhill my destination on that occasion, this now meant the daunder had come full circle back from its journey to Shetland, this was a happy thought it was just a dream I was putting into plan way back then; now I was literally living that dream!
Except for cycling through the town of Stonehaven (as I had previously made a navigational error), I had already cycled all this section of route one from Stonehaven to Montrose, I opted to go have a daunder round Stonehaven, having only ever driven through previously perhaps stopping for chips or an ice cream, it was pleasant to do a touristy cycle round the towns sites great big beach quaint harbour and harbourside bars and restaurants, I priced a place to stay which was £80, this was too much to spend for me that night it would have been nice but an unnecessary splurge, it was time to cycle on, there’s a steep hill to cycle up to climb out of Stonehaven this turns into a walking path to Dunnottar castle, this impressive ruined medieval fortress bills itself as where legends come to life, the path out was not suitable for a laden touring cycle it was back to cycling at the roadside
When my sister Karen met big Al he proposed within weeks she accepted and they quickly arranged a wedding, so quickly it all happened that my dad said it would never last and refused to take a day of work to go to the wedding during the day attending only at night after work, I gave the bride away that day at the ceremony! Thirty years later here I was cycling down for a secret get together for big Al`s sixtieth, I had been at his fortieth in Dunkeld his fiftieth was held at my house, he really is part of the family my dad couldn’t have been more wrong,
Big Al knew I was cycling down but didn’t know I was timing it to get to this get together, had I stayed at Stonehaven that night, I would have been cycling to Brechin on the day off the party, instead I text them to come collect me on route in their big white van, they had bought this big van in preparation for them emigrating to Bulgaria, coincidently they met me at the town of Kinneff! This would at least give me time to get a washing done before the get together,
It was great to see them and be relaxing back among family, the daunder was put in the garden shed, I properly unpacked everything; getting all the clothes I had been wearing and carrying for nearing six months into one load of washing, it was the first time this clothing had seen a washing machine in that time!

No comments:

Post a Comment