Friday, October 23, 2020

third set and trig info

 









On the Thursday I borrowed transport, with a plan to get two trig points done on the east side of the main road north, if I achieve this it would mean I would not have to revisit that side of the road on my big main attempt to do them all come January/ February







Trig types & Info
Trig pillars were used as the basis for a method of measuring the shape of the landscape so that maps could be created. The maps that were created with the trig pillars in the UK are the ones many of us know and use, OS Landranger and Explorer maps.

·  It was on April 18, 1936, that the first trig pillar was installed in a field in Cold Ashby, Northamptonshire. This was the start of the "retriangulation of Great Britain".

·  Triangulation is a mathematical process that makes accurate map-making possible. It works by determining the location of a point by measuring angles to it from known points at either end of a fixed baseline and, in this case, the many thousands of trig pillars.

·  Between 1936 and 1962, around 7,000 trig pillar being built across Britain, including thousands in Scotland as OS surveyors took on the huge task of mapping the entire country.

·  There are still thousands of trig pillars left in Britain although No one is sure of the exact figure it’s thought to be around 6,190.

·  The highest trig pillar is obviously  Ben Nevis, Scotland, at 1344m.. and the lowest? It's at Little Ouse at -1m in Cambridgeshire,.

·  it took a guy called Rob Woodall 13-years to complete his mission to bag all of Britain’s trig pillars recently

Hotlines

Muckle roe

Most trig points on Shetland are of the iconic triangulation pillar, designed by Brigadier Martin Hotline a
nd commonly referred to as a hotine pillar.Notable features on hotine pillars are the Flush Bracket, Spider, Plug, Upper centre mark and Sighting Tube, Mass production of these pillars commenced late in 1935.only minor modifications were ever made to Hotine's original design. Such as a small change to the centre cap's Allen screws was made to make it harder to remove or tamper with it






'Vanessas

big Tube

At a late stage, around 1958, the secondary triangulation had progressed to the Highlands of Scotland, it was necessary to design a new and lighter pillar, cylindrical in shape, in order to avoid excessive transport costs. These round pillars, usually called 'Vanessas', were considered "less aesthetically satisfying" than the standard pillar, so they were only placed in inaccessible locations to "reduce the risk of criticism from the more sensitive element of the population













Stonebuilt pillars,

  


 
often found on more inaccessible locations, these were constructed using whatever materials were to hand, obviating the need to carry too much heavy concrete mixture to the top of the hill, or so constructed to fit in better aesthetically in certain locations. Pillars were occasionally built out of local stone at the landowner's request, "in order to avoid attracting pilgrimages of hiker








On the Thursday 22/10/20 I borrowed transport, with a plan to get two trig points done on the east side of the main road north, if I achieved this it would mean I would not have to revisit that side of the road on my big main attempt to do them all come January/ February

Ward of outrabister

                As usual getting away early nearly always comes with last minute issues and this day was no different. an isolation on some boilers gave issues with HVAC pumps I was a wee bit later getting away. BUT I was all prepared with my gear and could drive straight to the first trig area, the weather was perfect no wind or rain a bit cold but that’s a bonus if you wanna run bits, I drove the scenic route towards voe missing out Brae, then headed toward Vidlin again now knowing where the left turn was, then a long single track road with plenty passing places a beautiful road, I would have liked to stop and look at the historic church outside vidlin it was very picturesque, but no time I was on a mission to get two trigs done before full darkness came, driving as far along this road as I possibly could I passed a silver and a black pair of trucks, two blokes had stopped for a chat, they moved to let me pass,


 When I parked up at the end of the road, I started to take of my jacket put on my running jacket backpack waistcoat, and remove my external trousers for running when the silver truck that I had passed made a turn near, the driver got out, he was a typical older island male coveralls on talking slow and quietly, he lit a fag and asked politely waur I wis aff tae rah day? I knew he was just being nosy but polite with it, I told him he leaned back on his bonnet wanting a wee chat! I got stressed I was in a rush islander`s like him will never get a heart attack they are so laid back. I am hard of hearing I hardly heard a word he said, but hope I said Aye at the right bits and made the correct assumptions to his questions with my hurried answers, I rushed to get away from him stressing about how I never had time for idle chit chat if I was gonna manage two trigs before blackness came.

I dashed of jumping fences and boggy areas but it was a pleasant run I didn’t want to stop and fix some music or an audiobook(wish I had) I wanted up there get it done and get back to move on, once at the top I put my can of Brewdog on the trig for a photo( a new project to be developed) right phone out for a photo, I had the tripod selfie pole in hand with the remote switched on raking all pockets and bag twice I had left the bloody phone/camera due to stressing at the set off!


Light was fading I dashed of back to the van thinking I had left the phone in my trousers, when I got back to the van, I noticed it at the first fence- it had fell out my pocket! Memo to self always zip pockets even when harassed and stressing! Now I had a choice to make? By the amount of daylight I had left there was no chance of two trig points if I went back for a photo, but potentially no chance of two anyway darkness was coming and it was a fair drive between points, I had photos of all the others it would be a shame not to photo this one, the actual route was recorded on my watch and on strava but I opted to go take some pictures, I would have to make it just the one trig that day. I ran back for a trig top photo for my records

  


No comments:

Post a Comment